November 17, 2012

Why I Like the Marysville Cookbook - By Sandy


Hi. My name is Sandy. I met Heather on twitter a long time ago and we became friends. Recently she asked me to review the cookbook and why I liked and it and I bought the book in the first place. So here goes.....

When Heather got the idea to print and publish a recipe book, I was interested. I followed the process for a while and eventually it was ready. A great cause, I thought, and one I wanted to help with. Plus, it couldn't hurt to learn some new ways to cook food. I'm not one of those who is very imaginative with food so I hoped this would help.

 From what I've seen, the entire aim of the book was as a different way to raise some much-needed funds for those who suffered in the Marysville fires of 7th February, 2009. What it seemed she also aimed to do was make cooking easy - even for someone like me who is known for talking, not cooking.

I bought the book, mostly just because I wanted to help with what she was doing. I thought she was such a good person for being so selfless so why not help her out and buy a book? I'm no cook - I'll never use but hey, it's for a great cause.

When it arrived I had a quick flick through it, passed it to my husband for his comments (he's chief cook and bottle-washer at our place) and then to my daughter who hadn't cooked a day in her life (she's 22!!) Hubby agreed it seemed full of good, easy recipes even he could manage. That's a good review for it, I thought. Daughter? She just looked at it and declared she would never use it.

About a week later, I had the urge to try something a little different. My family eats the same sort of meals most nights and, frankly, my daughter and I were bored with them. I went through the recipe book again, properly. What I found was an array of recipes anyone can cook, using ingredients that were not only easy to find in the stores but, a reasonable price, something we usually have in the house anyway so no worrying about the cost most times AND all food my entire family would eat!!

We are pensioners so it isn't easy or cheap to use recipes we find in magazines or most recipe books. I haven't even heard of most of the ingredients used in those much less have whatever it is in the house!! Assuming I could afford them and find them in the store, I doubt my family would even eat it anyway. I don't mind trying new foods but most of those in regular recipes just sound horrible - even I'm not prepared to try them so my family wouldn't touch it.

I found one recipe I thought I'd try - I had EVERY ingredient in the house AND all of them were things my family eats regularly. I started to prepare it all - it took just over five minutes. Even better - I don't like spending an hour or so in the kitchen at any time let alone just for preparation so this was a good start. I put it all together, added a couple of extra ingredients not listed and cooked it - all in about 40 minutes. Fantastic. Cheap, full of good, healthy food, inexpensive AND something that didn't take forever to prepare or cook. The added bonus was the family not only ate it all but went back for seconds - a rarity at my home.

Within a week, the family was asking for another meal from "The Marysville Book". The next time I did something else - again, cheap, uncomplicated, fairly quick to put together and cook, full of goodness and food that even tasted good and not just healthy for us. Again, no time at all to cook, or eat, it. Since then, we've used recipes from the book about once a week - and even my husband has cooked two meals from it (so far). We haven't ruined a meal yet so that shows you what a great book it is. So easy even we can't ruin it!!

Please help a great cause and help Heather to make some much needed (still) funds to help those who need it. It's a great book, a great cause and you can't make a mistake. Please tell your friends, too. The more the merrier and the more funds raised the more the Community of Marysville can benefit from your assistance.

www.marysvillecookbook.com $35.00 anywhere in Australia including postage. You can pay by cheque, money order, credit card or Paypal
 
Please support a good cause with $10 from each and every sale being returned back to the Marysville Community via community groups. As at the 14th November the amount of $7,500.00 has been raised with a goal of $10,000.

Thanks for reading. Sandy.

No comments:

Post a Comment